We are delighted to announce the Stokesley Book Festival will take place on Sunday 25th June in the Town Hall in Stokesley.
There will be lots of events and activities being announced for everyone, young and old to enjoy.
This event is kindly sponsored by Quorn.
We will update this page with events as they are confirmed and share across our social media platforms.
Find out more about:
- - Short Story Competition
- - Authors attending
- - Stokesley Book Trails
- - Books on sale
- - Children’s Activities
The VERY Short Story Writing Competition
At the first Stokesley Book Festival, we would like you to enter our short story writing competition for children aged 5-18 years, with a maximum word count of 500 words (approximately one side of A4, typed.)
But please read on for all the details of the competition rules and the dates you need to know.
Judging panels will be made up of independent local children and adults.
Winners will be announced on the day of the festival, Sunday 25th June 2023.
There will be four age categories:
- Age 5-8
- Age 9-11
- Age 12 –14
- Age 15-18
All rules and considerations apply to all four categories. The child’s age will be the age they are on the day of the festival, 25th June 2023. Winning entrants may be asked for proof of age.
The following rules are to make the competition as fair as possible. They are also to make the competition as manageable as possible. The festival is being put on by a small number of volunteers. The judges are all volunteers and most of them are children. We therefore do not have the capacity to operate beyond the remit of these rules.
- Stories can be on any subject matter but must be fictional stories. This is to make it easier for the judges to compare the pieces of writing.
- Real people, locations and events can be referred to, but the story must be made up by you.
- Entries must be all your own work.
- Only one entry per person.
- Maximum of 500 words. This will include the title and your name.
- There is no minimum word count.
- All entries must be typed. Someone can type up the story for you, but it must be all your own work. Please leave in any original spellings as these will not be judged.
- Judges may enter the competition for their age category.
- All entries must be submitted as a word/google document and emailed directly to the email account detailed below.
HOW TO ENTER
All entries must be submitted using the page on our website or by direct email. Entries submitted by any other means will not be accepted.
Details: In the subject field - add the words – SHORT STORY COMPETITION then YOUR NAME and AGE
In the email add YOUR STORY TITLE
THEN write or copy and paste your story into the body of the email.
Add your name and age again at the bottom and send to the email address provided. You will receive an auto-response email back to acknowledge receipt.
Once you have submitted your story you will not be able to alter it or have it returned.
Automated reply will be provided.
Entries can be submitted from 15th March 2023
Entries must be submitted by 12.00 midnight on 6th May.
First, second and third placed stories will be announced at the festival on Sunday June 25th, 2023.
The following prizes are for 1st, 2nd and 3rd placed winners in each age category.
- A Stokesley Book Festival designed certificate
- A book voucher
First prize - £30.00
Second prize - £20.00
Third Prize - £10.00